Hemlocks and Bristol Balloon Fiesta

Anybody who follows me on Instagram will know that my two favourite patterns are the Deer & Doe Plantain tee and the Grainline Hemlock tee. Not because both patterns are free and I'm cheap (though they are and I am), but because I looooove being comfy. And I have yet to meet a pattern comfier than the Hemlock.

So all that to say that I have just made another.


This one is in the softest viscose slub jersey from Minerva Craft. It's so soft and fine that it's almost transparent, and on a hot summer day almost has a bit of sexiness about it. Despite its boxy and slouchy shape. But that's good drape for you.


I cut it one morning before work, which took all of 20 min. I sewed it up the same day after work. In 1 h. And that's kind of it. It's so quick and easy and I've already made so many that I have nothing really to say about it. Except that I lovelovelovelove it!

So I might as well move on to some photos from its first outing.

My day trip partner in crime and I hopped on the train to Bristol last week to see a bunch of hot air balloons float over the city in the annual Bristol Balloon Fiesta.


The balloon ascent was scheduled for early evening and we arrived in the early afternoon, so with time to kill we made our way from the train station into town with no particular target in mind. We came upon a gothic church, St Mary Redcliffe, which was really rather grand. I'm not religious, despite experimenting with religion at university the way some people experiment with drugs (I think they probably had more fun), but I like churches. I love how welcoming they are and the tranquility in a church, but most of all I love the architecture.


And luckily for me, my friend quite likes churches too. But then again, she was doing a degree in Theology when we met.

We also visited the Bristol Cathedral. It is nowhere near as grand as St Mary Redcliffe, but is has some pretty magical stained glass windows.


Churches visited, we went for lunch by the harbourside and then walked along the water for a good hour or so, overdosing on fresh air. It was like being on holiday.

Ahh, both of us in handmade tops. Lika barn leka bäst, as we say in Sweden.

Can you see where I dropped food on my white trousers and then tried to wash it off in the restaurant bathroom?


As it was approaching 6 pm and the time for the ascent we decided to find our way to the Clifton Suspension Bridge and go look for a good spot for a good view of the balloons. This was stupid easy, as all of Bristol was doing the same and we just had to follow the crowds.

Viewing spot found, the waiting began. The whole of last week had been windy and five balloon ascents had already been cancelled because it was too windy. By 6 pm the next scheduled ascent had not been cancelled, but neither were there any balloons. So we took about 14 000 photos of the bridge. And waited.

And then, close to 8 pm, the first one showed its chubby top! Followed by many more.




No comments