Lacy Mabel part 2 and a water mill

Apologies for yet more photos of the Mabel skirt. On the same day that we went to the lavender farm we also went to a water mill a few miles up the road. And because I've recently fallen in love with my Fujifilm camera all over again, I just have to share a few snaps.
Stotfold Mill is a working watermill dating back about 1000 years. The website describes a mention of four mills in Stotfold in the Domesbook of 1086.

Me and my friend are suckers for historic places, so of course we were curious. And since we were in the neighbourhood we had to drop by. We actually started the day here, with a walk in the nature reserve, admiring the clean waters and wildflowers.


Among all this beauty it feels almost rude to say that we got bored after about an hour, but we did. It's a beutiful meadow, but the landscape does not really change, so it's quite quick to see it all. Not to mention, we were desperate for coffee! Which we had with scones made with flour milled on site. I know, it's practically a cardinal sin to have scones with coffee rather than tea, but what can I say, you can take the girls out of Scandinavia but you can't cure a caffeine addiction.

The tea room is part of the original mill (if my memory does not make things up) and incredibly charming. It offers a cool escape from the hot sun, the ladies serving the cakes are lovely, the walls are covered with art by local artists and the scones are good.

Rested and refreshed we headed to see the action in the mill.
George and Samuel are the two mill stones.

The waterwheel was kind of cool, but the rest of the mill didn't really blow my mind, to be honest. But if we are being honest, the set up of the mill was probably aimed more at children than...me.

Still though, a nice start to the day. And a nice outing for my Mabel skirt.

No comments