Lace and lavender

In April of this year I went to Australia. And went a bit crazy fabric shopping. I've shown off some of the fabrics and makes on Instagram, but two of my favourite purchases came from a store I had never heard of until I arrived, Spotlight. It's not the least fancy, but it's an absolute treasure trove! A bit like the Goldhawk Road shops all rolled into one but with a much better layout. I found my lemon fabric from the previous post and a coral lacy fabric.

The coral lace is backed by a cream coloured fabric of some synthetic variety. The whole thing is in fact probably synthetic, but it's soft and has a lot of stretch, so it makes it very comfortable to wear.

I knew when I bought it that it was destined to be a Colette Mabel, and that is exactly what it became. Within weeks of coming home I sewed this skirt up. Yet I've only worn it once. I love the look of the Mabel skirt on others, and it's a beautifully designed pattern, but I love my skirts to sit at the waist and the Mabel sits a bit below the waist. It's one of those things you realise doesn't suit you only after you've worn it out and about.

Ah well. It is very comfortable, so last Sunday I decided it would be part of my secret pyjamas for the day, along with one of my many Deer and Doe Plantain T-shirts. I dressed, met up with a friend, got in the car and drove the 1.5 hours to Hitchin. 


Why Hitchin you might wonder. Well, I saw on a friend's Instagram feed that there is a lavender farm in Hitchin! Her photos were stunning, so I just had to go check it out.


I was not disappointed. Row upon row of this beautiful purple blossom.


And upon closer look, cute little animals.



There were also lots of bees, but they were fast and I didn't get a clear photo of any. I did get stung by one though. 

It was superwindy that day. Promise I didn't make my friend stand there with a windmachine to make my hair look nice.


My friend the photographer, who deserves credit for the photos of me.


It was a wonderful day. One of those where I felt so lucky for having the life I have.



2 comments

  1. This is very pretty, but I know what you mean about the waist n the Mabel. Mine feels like it's going to fall down all the time. This place looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yea, I think it ideally needs a bit more hips than I've got. I might stick to fit and flare and pencil skirts.

      Delete